2015 Castle Hill Farm - Custom Processed Maryland Lamb
Castle Hill Farm, was settled in 1813, in the beautiful Middletown Valley. Our farm is south of Middletown and north of Burkittsville, MD. We are the 4th. owners from the original land grant. The farm was named Castle Hill Farm by the first owner, DeWalt Willard, a Circuit Court Judge in Frederick, MD.
We are a working farm with sheep, lambs, barn owls, bee hives, a fish pond, excellent alfalfa hay, grass hay and pasture, a rotational grazing system, and a soil conservation plan. We raise all our own hay. Our farm is managed by 3 border collies; Frisk, Mia and our newest farm manager, Shelby (a rescue dog), to watch over the flock.
PHOTO: Stuffed American Lamb Shoulder Chops with mushroom sauce.
Need recipes? Go to: www.fredericksheepbreeders.com Click on the "Links" tab for recipes.
We raise registered Suffolk sheep (black faced sheep). Suffolk sheep are well-muscled and grow faster than other breeds. Our 6 to 10 month old lambs, range from 125-140 lb. and produce excellent cuts of meat.
Our farm specializes in providing the following eight (8) products and services:
1. Regular custom-processed, spring-born, farm-fresh lambs -- 6-10 months old. Lambs are both grass-fed and grain-fed for that great flavor. We use no growth hormones or steroids. We sell custom processed whole and half lambs. Do not sell individual lamb cuts.
The best younger lambs are often retained as breeding stock for other sheep breeders, and as 4-H Project Lambs for the kids.
Lambs are processed at Hemp's Meats, 3740 Jefferson Pike, Jefferson, MD 21755. Hemp's is a USDA inspected butcher shop. Lambs are properly aged in Hemp's cooler for 9 days, then custom-processed per your order. Hemp's has been in business since 1849 -- and has an excellent retail meat shop. Check out Hemp's Website: www.hempsmeat.com
You can order any type of cuts you want -- like a boneless leg roast, double english chops, pre-sliced shoulder roast, pre-sliced rack of lamb -- or a Crown Rack of Lamb for that special dinner party. Then your meat is vacuum packed, labeled, and frozen.
You can also request some cuts to be packaged and kept fresh in the cooler -- if you plan to use immediately for an upcoming event. Customer gets everything back -- including the 4 lower shanks, extra bones, all organ meat, ground fat for the birds, and even the head.
We'll even salt down and cure the lamb pelt for you -- ready for you to ship to Bucks County Fur Products, 220 1/2 N. Ambler Street, Quakerstown, PA 18951.
2. We also provide Halal custom-processed, spring-born, farm-fresh lamb -- 6 to 10 months old -- the same grass-fed and grain-fed lambs. Halal lambs are processed at Old Line Meats, Baltimore, a USDA inspected butcher shop. If desired, customer can take their cut-up lamb meat home the same day. Some Muslim customers like their lamb cut-up in small 2 or 3 inch pieces. We work to accommodate customers for their various holidays.
Call well in advance to discuss what you want and to order a Halal processed lamb for a holiday, or your family event.
Send us an email and we'll send you a Lamb Order Form and our 2015 Information & Price Sheet for lambs processed at Hemp's Meats in Jefferson, MD. If you don't know much about the various meat cuts, we'll help out and advise.
3. Compost and sheep manure. Sell by the pick-up truck load, or trailer. Most trucks hold 3 yds. Cost: $25.00 per truck load -- we load your truck.
4. Our best lambs are sold as Registered Suffolk Breeding Stock -- ram lambs and ewe lambs. And at times we have some bred yearlings. Our genetics will add muscle, capacity,and improve your flock. We do not sell very young lambs for meat -- because some of the lambs will be raised as future breeding stock.
5. 4-H Project Lambs (4-H Club Lambs) -- show lambs that are flashy, well-muscled, long bodied, have style -- and will do well at your County Fair.
6. We provide breeding services for shepherds that just have a few ewes -- instead of you having to purchase and maintain a ram. We usually use four rams for breeding. Also, provide limited ram leasing to experienced shepherds who have just a few sheep. Our rams are from the top-end of the Suffolk breed genetics.
7. Visitors are welcomed. Call to arrange a date and time -- weekends are usually the best. Can advise on most aspects of sheep management and health care; what to look for when buying land; and, farm and livestock equipment.
8. Dealer for Sydell Sheep & Goat Livestock equipment -- lamb jugs, steel panels, gates, handling equipment, scales, grain and hay feeders, etc. Sydell has a wide range of sheep & goat equipment.
Do you need Lamb Recipes? Go to the Frederick County Sheep Breeders website. Open to the Home Page -- click on "Links" -- scroll down to "Lamb Recipes". There are hundreds of recipes from around the world. Website: www.FrederickSheepBreeders.com